Sunday 27 January 2008

So much going on!

Blogging again - what is becoming of me?! As I write this there are an untold number of things I should be doing - of which cleaning this house and doing my new display for my class are important! But never mind! The others have gone off to a waterfall to find some harness equipment that Jorge and Mark left there a few weeks ago when they were abseiling down it. I opted to stay and relax and get things done. So far this has consisted of wandering to Sue's house to have a chat!! Heh ho.

Today is our last day house sitting for Dave and Esther, they return from Canada tomorrow. I have totally loved living up at the camp, with the peaceful and beautiful surroundings, and being out of school! However, I am ready to sleep in my own bed again surrounded by my own things (instead of living a split life with things in both houses!). This has been another excellent weekend, proving to me why I am living here and showing that life can feel normal and comfortable here. I really do feel very settled here - good thing really!

Last night we (Amanda, Mark, Noel and I) went to a concert. It was held at and by Betel, the local church across the road. It was a 'youth' concert, held outside in the basketball court. We had thought it would be more like the usual concerts here - by the 'orchestra', but no. What an excellent surprise we had. It was more like a 'rock worship' concert, more like the days of going over to the Delirious concerts in L'hampton. Not what I expected to find in this culture! There are some very talented people here. The main difference however being that there is no dancing allowed - very strange when the music is hard to sit still to! There were loads of young people there, so encouraging to see so many people coming to a concert at a church - England could learn a lot! We met up with Jorge there and came back to our house up here to have pizza and watch 'Life of Brian' - great night eh?! I find that film so funny, and it is only watching it with people from different countries that you realise how different English humour is! No surprise I guess - so far everything about England is different to everyone else! I am feeling very sorry for England at the moment, but that's another story!









Amanda giving Jorge a guitar lesson on Sat night

I am also being reminded a lot of Uganda at the moment, various things happen that remind me of my life there (and yes I do still miss being there too!). One of these things being the number of 'National' Days they have both here and there. Uganda has Soldiers Day, Martyrs day, Women's day...you name it day. Honduras is somewhat similar, Friday bought us Women's Day, the school recognised this by giving the women a bookmark and chocolate bar (isn't that thoughtful?!) and today bought the added surprise of being Pastor's Day...

We went along to church this morning and it was Pastors Day. This is something that as the service went on I wished we could have in UK. A real appreciation for the work the Pastor does. It was a fantastic service this morning, a service in which I realised I was in a church I really liked and felt at home in. We are slowly getting to know people there (how I wish I spoke Spanish properly). Some of the children got up the front this morning dressed as sheep, doing a little sheep dance - very cute. One of the bands who played last night played one of their songs as a kind of contribution from the young guys I guess (they play in the worship group at our church ,it was yet again very good - and yet amusing to watch the faces of the older people), there was a small drama - well done Jorge! - all the different groups thanked the pastor in their own ways for the work he does. I just wished we could do something like that at home, we take far too much for granted in England, coming here has made me realise that to a greater extent. There is so much that I want to write about that, however, I just can't put it all coherently into words! Our church sings some of the good old hymns we know and love, but in Spanish. I sing my little heart out! I honestly love it! The longer I am here the more I feel at home. I would love to get to know more Honduran friends, I guess that will come with the Spanish!

More good news if that Amanda is considering staying next year - I really pray that she does. It would be great to have some continuity in friendships here.

Now, can I take this opportunity to say thank you to Barbara and Jean who ALWAYS leave me a message on here. I love it! Just hearing little bits from people keeps me in touch. It's greatly appreciated. So...especially my family..please let me know if you are reading this!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad you enjoy reading my little notes; I enjoy reading your blogs very much! Do hope that Amanda does decide to stay next year: are her feet healed now? Well it's 6.45am, I've made my packed lunch but now need to go and get dressed etc for another day at the ........(you can insert your own word/phrase there!!). Take care, Love Barbara x

jean said...

well that goes for me too. I am still utterly amazed that we can chat as if you were next door.I always longed for a penpal in my youth (a very long time ago) so i have made you 'it'.hope thats ok.The church sounds great, why is no one allowed to dance? Does anyone clap?. God bless, love Jean.

Anonymous said...

Pastor's Day sounds an excellent idea (are you reading this DM?) - I may have to see if our new incumbent will take it up! Could we have a Parish Administrator's day as well?
Take care (especially in that car...) God Bless
CHAT

Anonymous said...

Hi
love your blogs miss you lots.
take care love you loads Gemma and Sylvie xxxx

Anonymous said...

Well, I have to tell you...you got out in time...




OFSTED arrive on Tuesday xxx

Beth

Anonymous said...

I've just caught up with your last 5 blogs, it was like reading a book. My computer has been playing up, but all seems well at the moment. Keep the blogs coming.it is so lovely hearing from you and all your adventures.lots of love Angie f.xx