Thursday 28 May 2009

My first Earthquake!!

We've had the insane heat, the tropical rainstorms and last night we had an earthquake! It measured 7.1 on the richter scale!! That makes for a big earthquake!! At 2.25am in the morning I woke up feeling sea-sick as my house was physically swaying. Amanda came into my room and I just stared at her confused as she shouted 'earthquake' at me!! Books and ornaments fell off my bookshelf and my bed moved across the room!! The earthquake came in waves and it was honestly like being on water. We went into the living room where we could see the house physically moving and swaying and could hear the dogs barking outside! I've never known anything like it. When it ended, we just sat there feeling sea-sick from all the swaying.

The epicentre was in the sea off the coast of Honduras, thankfully. Had it been on land we would have had severe damage. As it was, things weren't as bad as they could have been. In Sigua there wasn't much damage - was far worse nearer the coast.

School was open as usual - despite the large cracks that had appeared on the ceilings. Not exactly safe but heh! We had 'Earthquake drills' where the children had to practise getting under the desks and then lining up outside.

Some say we are due to have more earthquakes in the coming days, but only time will tell!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi
Well thank goodness everything was ok and nothing was damaged and nobody hurt!
It must of been terrifying!
Hope the next earthquake won't be as bad but you can kinda prepare if you need to.
Good luck!
Love from Anna

jean said...

first and hopefully last. glad you are all ok, take care, God Bless, love Jean.x