Saturday 3 October 2009

Fun with friends!

Finally, time for another update. Things here have calmed down finally. The ex-President (really...which other country has 2 presidents at once?!) is still in the Brazilian embassy and life seems to have moved on and left him there. We haven’t had curfews for a few days now – he doesn’t have the support he’d hoped for and so when he rallied for people to turn up last Monday – no one went really, there were no major demonstrations or anything. So there he remains for a while apparently

I went to Tegus this week and you’d not have known there were any political problems going on at all! My friend Jaime finally graduated and so Lorena and I went up to his graduation. Lorena and Jaime are my closest friends here and are like my own brother and sister (they are siblings) - and they view me as their sister too. I love them both to pieces and my life here would be very different without them. So after class on Thursday I drove to Tegus. We stayed with Mario, a friend from church who has gone to work in Tegus and lives with his parents there in a gorgeous house. We had lunch with him, changed and went off to the first part of the ceremony. In the first part ( juramentacion – swearing oaths) the graduates go up and swear their oaths etc and then have to sign all the paper work. Then after that they put on their togas for the graduation part of the ceremony. It was actually really good. I was the official photographer for the day as no one else from his family went. Jaime is the only person in his family to have gone to university and so it was a proud moment for everyone! He is now a fully qualified PE teacher!

Jaime and Lorena

Jaime and I

Lorena, Jaime and I

After the ceremony, Lorena and I went off and wandered around a bit whilst Jaime did official ‘stuff’ and then we all went out to dinner – Jaime and Lorena, Jaime’s 2 house mates and Mario. We went to El Gordo which is a fantastic restaurant that just serves meat!! Meat, meat and more meat! Fantastic – apart from the large part of liver I tucked into thinking it was beef!! Then the 3 of us went to stay at Mario’s. They actually talked me into watching the movie Friday 13th – I never watch scary movies...luckily enough it’s not that scary, more amusing! So we all just had fun hanging out together.

Then yesterday Lorena and I made the most of being in Tegus and went to the mall and just relaxed before we drove home to Sigua in the afternoon. My dream is to be able to bring these 2 to England with me for Christmas this year. At the moment it’s only a dream as I’m trying to find the money for me, let alone them. But please join me in praying that I can find a way for them to meet my culture and family, as they have accepted me into their family and culture here.

One exciting part of my trip was that I got the very LAST tickets in Tegucigalpa for next weeks World Cup qualifying match for Honduras. It’s Hondy’s last match here and the tickets are only on sale in Tegus and San Pedro. My friend Kike called and bought 2 tickets in San Pedro for me and I queued up for 45 mins in the bank in Tegus and Praise God – I got the last 3 tickets in the city!!! So the boys and I (my usual football crew) are off to the stadium next week!! I’m very excited.

So all in all I’ve had a great week!!

2 comments:

jean said...

well this is so much more of a positive blog. pleased to hear all is better now, the pics are lovely. We just had our Harvest festival, was ok but missing something,still not sure what it was! take care, God Bless, love Jean.

Anonymous said...

Loving the pics!
All seems better.
Love from Anna