Thursday 23 September 2010

Rains

We have been suffering more and more with flash flooding. The rains have been abnormally heavy. My neighbourhood floods more than most!! The roads are literally flowing rivers 15 mins after the rains start. An hour after it stops and it all disappears!! I am thankful for the blessing of my car. Without 4x4 the roads are impassable and I would never leave my house!
Lorena's house breaks my heart. Her house is a v poor house. The roof leaks somewhat and the walls don't actually meet the tin roof - you can watch mice running along the top of it, and it means there are always mosquitoes in the house - hence the dengue that her brother had. The worst is that the path to her house slopes down from the road and so with this heavy rain the water pours down. Her front path, garden, entrance turns into a river/lake. When she told me how deep it was I wan't convinced so with my wellies (rain boots) on and rain coat on, I braved it to her house in the torrential rain. The water was so deep it went over the top of my boots. I was amazed. Yet immensely saddened - this is her house and happens every day. It doesn't take long to clear after the rains, but it's shocking. They want to rent a house during these winter months, their house is just not healthy and doesn't work! Or they want to bbuild the walls up and put a new roof on. But it costs money that they don't have. Plus..they don't want to leave me alone in this neighbourhood bless them. It is so sad to see their house..it's their home - my 2nd home!!
Lorena rescuing the cat as she tried to get into her house!


The rain pouring from the road into her house!

Click here for photos of my neighbourhood

I finally had enough of the mud bath in front of my house. The dogs were continually digging holes, that then filled with water and became a mud splashing bath for them..thus caking everywhere with mud. I also couldn't keep up with all the weeds and it just looked a mess. So I gave in and bought gravel. It now looks really good - and will prevent so much mud (and dust in the dry season). It's expensive stuff but well worth it!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This looks wonderful Katharine, you must be very pleased with the finished effect. So sorry to hear about all the rain and to see the photos; I hope the predicted storms don't come. take care, love Barbara xx