Thursday 24 January 2008

Never give a ball of wool to a 7 year old boy!

Ok, if I ever suggest making pom-poms again with my Grade 2's please shoot me! I thought it would be a lovely idea for my Hogar class (home making/craft class). New-girl Megan helped me cut out all the cardboard circles, I had the children bring in the wool and thought it would be great!

I have to say that the children loved it... so it can't have been that bad. In my planning I had forgotten that Grade 2 consists of only 8 girls and 15 boys. 15 seven year old boys! It was hilarious. Roberto, who is in a dream world, wandered around the classroom oblivious to the fact that he had the end of a ball of wool in his hand. I turned around to find the wool wrapped around the entire class like a spiders web. Isaac didn't notice the wool attached to his foot and he did the same thing - only he managed to wrap it around Jennifer (it was her first day at our school!) and thus tied her legs up. It was very amusing because they were genuinely oblivious to it all. Most of the boys found it far too difficult, at least to start with and so I found myself a pom-pom making professional, rushing round sorting it all out. My class was a tangled mess, a lot of the boys just had piles of tangled wool in their hands where they had dropped it. Please......never again! I gave it to them to finish as homework!


<<<< This is Sergevy's at it's best!


















Some managed it!
I thought it would be a nice calm afternoon in Grade 1 - and it would have been had Fernando not vomitted across his desk in the middle of a spelling test! What a great day!!

Tomorrow can only get better, we are taking Grade 1 and 2 (50 children) to the aeroplane museum in Tegucigalpa. I can foresee lots more vomiting on the bus - but going on some of the planes (on the ground) will make up for it. There are no other English speaking teachers going so it will be a long day of Spanish!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Another blog to make me smile at the beginning of the day!! Hope the trip to the museum didn't involve too many children being sick; do you have to clean them up? Did you know that our mini-bus has 'died' and we're just using St Stephen's at the moment? Love Barbara x

jean said...

I can't stop laughing.(not the vomiting bit) i always thought pom-poms had to be the easiest thing but vicki wopuld agree with you she will not do this activity with 5-7 year old rainbows. hope the trip went ok. God Bless, Jean

Anonymous said...

hi,its barrie, Jean's husband. I know what you mean about pom-poms as I help at Worthing society for the blind handicraft session and we tried to get about 9 old ladies making them. Talk about the blind leading the blind.!!!!Glad you have got car sorted out, have you got a manual? hope trip went ok.

Megan said...

It did look a bit as though a sweater factory had exploded in your classroom...Very entertaining!

Anonymous said...

Vicki wouldn't do pom-poms with 5- 7 year old Rainbows and neither of us would do it with 7 - 10 year old Brownies! Obviously we're just not as adventurous as you! 2 Chron 15:7 - but I don't think its refering to pom-poms! Try some sort of ginger (crystalised, glace, biscuits, whatever you can lay your hands on) for travel sick kids next trip, assuming you can't get hold of travel sickness pills.
God Bless. CHAT

Anonymous said...

hi
how is it at honduras having a fun time. by the way you are the best teacher ever. from chloe and anna

Unknown said...

sounds like you had fun!! I have just had to buy a new battery for my car as it died on sat!!! Had to walk to church on Sunday :(, (was not impressed!!!)
Hope the museum trip went well. love katie