Sunday 30 March 2008

My first Honduran wedding

Yesterday I went to my first wedding in Honduras, and it was both fascinating and wonderful! It was Laura's wedding; Laura is the Grade 3/4 English teacher here. Over the past few weeks we have had a couple of 'hen nights'/ wedding showers for her with different groups of people - I do believe I forgot to blog on that, whoops!

Anyway, the service was at the Catholic University and was a 'High' Catholic service - quite different to what I was expecting. It was an evening wedding, it started at 7pm and in true Honduran style we arrived 40 minutes late - only 5 minutes after the Bride! Imagine a group of 6 of us walking into a small chapel late - 2 of whom were tall, white girls in high heels (thus making them tower over the smal Honduran men and women!) It's been a very long time since I've been the girlie girl, but Amanda and I had a truly girlie day getting everything we needed for the wedding - that girl can take me back to days I didn't think I'd see again especially not in Honduras! It's good for me though (so, thanks Amanda!)

The whole service was chanted with responses that only the Catholics there knew. It was so beautiful and peaceful to listen to as it was all accompanied by 3 Spanish guitars and a tambourine-and the harmony they sang in was beautiful. Not what I expected at all.

After the service, we headed for the reception, which by this point was 9pm. Julio sang a song he'd written the first day he'd met Laura, they gave speeches, did a first dance and then we ate. Gorgeous food it was too - and we were very hungry by 10pm when the food arrived! The evening went on and laughed around in both English and Spanish. I was sat at the 'school' table with Amanda, Deb, Silvia, Maribel and Yicel - wonderful and hilarious ladies!

By 11.30pm it was time for the dancing - Latino style - and did they dance!? Not only did these guests have amazing, harmonic voices they had style and rhythm too. To watch them dancing with such rhythm was mesmerising!

However.....before we had left our house Silvia told us directly that we were not allowed to dance and it would be reported straight to the school board if we did! Evangelical Christians are not allowed to dance - Catholics apparently are! They believe it leads to drinking, sex etc etc. Having seen the way they dance Latino style I can begin to see how they get their opinions.

So we were all dressed up and no dancing allowed - Amanda, Deb and I could just sit and watch. (When did I start wanting to get up and dance anyway???.....it's Amanda's influence I tell you!!)

By 12am the party was in full swing and we left the dancers dancing! Well done to Laura and Julio - and apparently well done to Amanda!!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You look lovely - quite 'girlie' for you! Amanda did a good job!! It really is interesting going to a wedding in another culture isn't it? I went to one in France many, many, many years ago and enjoyed all the differences that made it so special. I'm off to the annual SENCO conference today; not looking forward to it, but it's my next to last one so I'll probably survive. Reports went out last week so have a few more IEPs to review and write this week - bet you don't miss all of that!? Take care Katharine; I so enjoy reading your blogs. Love Barbara x

jean said...

I bet you really enjoyed getting all girly again, you look sensational as do the bride & groom.Can it be that the wedding is so late because it takes sooo long to get ready, & then you are extra late!! ( nothing new there then)Do the school really think that Christians are different to Catholics with regards to drinking & dancing? someone needs to put them straight! perhaps they have had a bad experience,shame. Take care, God Bless. love Jean.x

Singingface said...

ummm....you make me sound like some sort of party animal...