Monday 21 April 2008

Blending in - or not!

I have become so used to constantly being stared at for being white and looking ' different' that I am now oblivious to it. I forget that I stand out because I have white skin, blonde(ish) hair, taller than most women. Well, I thought I was oblivious until today's market trip.

Every Sunday we go to the fruit /veg market after church to buy our fresh produce for the week. You'd think that people would recognise us (as most of the sellers do) and would not need to stare at us as we walk by. Today was different to our normal market trips - there was a very high proportion of drunk men there (maybe to do with the football match last night). Not just drunk men, but drunk, old, dirty, toothless men. Nice.

One man felt the need to ask Noel if we would like for him (said drunk man) to be our boyfriend. As polite as it was for him to ask it was not pleasant. Noel became our body guard and told the man that he was in fact our boyfriend and so this man couldn't be (a blatant lie, but we were grateful for it) He was persistant though and proceeded to follow us around and leer at us, trying to talk to us. Then as we walked away another drunk man came towards us so we ran back to Noel for safety!

I then had an old toothless lady staring blatantly at me as I tried to buy my strawberries, so I said hello and she just stood patting me like a dog telling us we were beautiful! I felt like a side-show!

I think what topped it off, was that as we had left Noel to buy his bananas and went to try to peacefully finish our shopping, a man stood behind me hitting my bottom with the brushwood/sticks he was trying to get me to buy!! I was not impressed I can say! And no it did not tempt me to buy his bloomin sticks!

It's not normally that bad in the market, and we are always very aware of keeping hold of our bags and general safety in such a crowded place, and normally Jorge and Enoc come along for the company. Typical that the one week they don't come we get all the hassle!!

It keeps us on our toes I guess and means that life here is never boring!

4 comments:

jean said...

I always thought different was sort of 'good', maybe not in this case! Good job you've got male friends on hand otherwise you would have to go out disguised as a chap. Not sure what you would do with your lovely hair though. Love the pic with the lion cub in previous blog.How can you possibly remember circuses from the 60s? Unless you are older than we've been led to believe!!!! take care, God Bless, love Jean x

Anonymous said...

I wish you had some video of your market trip - it would certainly make good viewing!! Make sure you take care of yourself! Love Barbara x

Anonymous said...

Hum reminds me of shopping in Electric Ave Brixton in the 80's what an experience that was each Sat.
At least makes Sainsburys look even duller. Take care Jean Pxx

Anonymous said...

I found this more disturbing than other "incidents" you've emailed us about!!
Take GREAT care
God Bless
Love CHAT