Wednesday 30 July 2008

Long and waffly!

It is hard to believe that it is only just over a week ago that I was sat on this ferry...and yet here I am again. This time no jet lag – just tired! It is a gloriously blue sky outside and the sea is calm and sparkly as I cross back over in the car ferry to the IOW.

I have done so much and seen so many people in this past week. It has been really lovely to catch up with friends again. It has made me realise how much I have missed them – particularly Lynsey (and Lucy!) I have literally spent all day every day meeting up with people again – everyone carefully timetabled in so I don’t miss anyone! I’m sorry if I have missed you – it’s all a bit crazy and I left all my phone number sin Honduras! I was very glad that I got to go into Chesswood (the school I taught in) again to see the kids and say goodbye to those going up to High School now. I have only been gone a year, in some ways it feels like I have been gone forever and in other ways feels like I never left – strange combination.

I have mastered driving again – only to be confused once I get back to Hondy! I am still confused as to which side of the car to get into, but that is nothing new as I have been like that all year anyway!

So what have I done?

I’ve been into school; met friends; been to Ikea; Denis’ leaving party; Victoria’s baby shower; Elaine put on a BBQ for all my friends from church (was wonderful Elaine thank you so much!) had chips on the beach; cream teas; paddled in the sea; saw the annual firework display on the end of the pier; spoken to everyone at church with a presentation about my life in Honduras...and even went to see Bucks Fizz at a free concert on the beach. They were wonderfully awful and the groups on stage before them were like bad Karaoke acts! I have never seen so many pikey people in one place as I did in the crowd that night – weirdo’s the lot of them!! I have driven round the country and seen Caroline and the kids and Peter. It’s a shame I didn’t get to spend more time with them, but I’m here for a short time and everyone is very busy.



I was very excited to learn that Alastair is going to Grantham to train for the British Water Polo Team and maybe be in the 2012 Olympics! I looked after him and his twin sister Fiona since they were little and even taught him in Year 5. He is one of the loveliest teenage boys I know and he will go a long way – good luck Ali! (Fiona is lovely too!)


Has been crazy busy, but great.


Here are some observations I have made:

· Nobody here beeps their horn whilst driving – all very polite! In Honduras if you don’t move within a second when the lights change the whole road is beeping you – yet here everyone just waits, getting silently cross!

· Knife Culture is the new phenomenon – sounds like Honduras in some places! London sounds horrendous. Apparently during the fireworks 3 people were stabbed – but clearly not where I was standing!

· Petrol is far too expensive

· England is very, very green (as in fields etc) I don’t think I have ever really appreciated it before but it is lovely. Even flying in over London you see all the parks etc. When I flew over New York it was just buildings for as far as the eye could see. Horrible.

· I love Worthing beach. I may live near the Caribbean Sea but Worthing beach will always be my favourite!

· I also love Ryde beach!

· I didn’t realise how much I miss hot sausage rolls fresh from the bakery- Forfars bakery in fact.

· It is not until you see your friends again that you realise how much you have missed them! It has been so lovely getting to know little Lucy and Henry – and seeing Lynsey again!

· I really do love St George’s church – the nutty bunch of people there!!!

· TV is quite rubbish!

Profound heh??!! There are probably more that will come to me!

I am now going to spend a few days with Dad on the island and then it’s back to Worthing at the weekend for the dentist and Henry’s baptism.

Then a week today I fly back to Honduras, which I am looking forward to, although it will be sad to say goodbye. With my track record I have every confidence I will end up in tears at the airport!!! Pathetic!

( Took a while to get this on the internet sorry!)

4 comments:

jean said...

I am really pleased you are having such a great holiday,it was wonderful to see you if only for a few hours. enjoy the tranquillity of the island and get a good rest before you head for those tearful airports. Stick the boot on get a wheelchair and get yourself looked after all the way back.Have a safe journey and let us know when you get back also if you have a new postal address for your new home.Take care, God bless, love Jean.x

Anonymous said...

Just great to catch up with you and hear your news. Keep up the blogs really brighten a dull day.Jean P

Anonymous said...

WONDERFUL TO SEE YOU.
MUM IS SO SORRY THAT SHE LET YOU GET THE BUS INTO TOWN WHEN SHE COULD HAVE GIVEN YOU A LIFT SHE GOT CONFUSED WITH ME SEEING DADDY AND DID NOT THINK UNTILL AFTER YOU HAD LEFT SORRY SAFE JOURNEY MONDAY Lots of Gemma Sylive xxxx

Anonymous said...

Just catching up on your blogs, sorry got a bit behind. Can't believe your Dad took you to the Roman Villa for lunch. He took us to the White Hart at Haven Street today - much more civilised! New address please.
Take Care
God Bless
Love CHAT