Saturday 3 July 2010

The Big 5

Yet again I find myself appologising for not keeping this updated enough. Busy busy = very tired = no updates! Sorry!
So, the World Cup is still a big part of life. Poor Honduras. Poor England.
Enough of that! What else has been happening? Let me fill you in on the 5 biggest things this week....

1. I have a new puppy! So I have Sheba (German Shep crossed with ?) who is 7 months old and now I have Tshabala (Rottweiler cross) who is 2 months old and looks like a lion! Tshabala - named after the surname of the South African who scored the very first goal in the World Cup! She is very sweet. They are both going to be v large dogs! My once calm lion of a dog Sheba is now learning to be a guard dog as the little one is teaching her to bark! Probably a good thing! They get on very well and together will protect my house!

2. My friend Kike (Goes to my church and I used to teach English to) ended up in hospital last weekend. He works at the Scipture Union camp and was leading a group of Gringos (Americans) abseiling/repelling down a waterfall. He's done this countless number of times, but it had started raining and was slippery and he was just getting the last girl down to safety when she slipped and the 2 of them fell from the top to the bottom. Had 1 person fallen alone they would not have made it alive, but they bounced off each other on the rocks and both survived! It took 5 hours to evacuate them out from where they landed and to the hospital. I had friends around at my house Saturday night, after Youth Group, using my washing machine to to do their laundry when they got a call to say what had happened to Kike. So we piled in my car and drove up to the hospital late at night to be there for him and his brother and sister, all friends of ours. To be honest I was more there as a taxi driver! Kike has a broken collar bone and broken rib and cuts to his head - and the most swollen eye I've ever seen! But he's ok and doesn't need surgery. The girl came off worse and also had broken bones and stitches to her head but needed surgery so was medi-evac'd back to the States the next day for surgery, which went well. Both are doing well.

3. Also this week there is a big epidemic of Dengue Fever sweeping the country It hasn't been this bad for a few years. The news and hospitals are full of it. Aparently the Dengue mosquitoes are different from normal ones - and have black/white stripey legs. I can't say I stop to check their legs before I squash them when they're biting me!! I'm not overly worried to be honest. It's not as if I can do anything about it!

4. The saddest thing of the week is the kidnapping of David Orellana. I haven't written about a kidnapping on here for a while now. It's still going on ALL the time, but the media has been curbed from writing about it so much. Anyway, David is the father of students/friends from my old school. He is a good Christian man and goes to church just our of town with a lot of friends of mine. He is also very wealthy indeed. He was taken Thrusday morning from near his house. The kidnappers have called the family to say they have him, but now it's a waiting game. The kidnappers will now wait so as to increase the anxiety of the family - and they will in turn comply with the demands. Please pray for his safe return.

5. This week is the anniversary of our church Eben-Ezer. To celebrate, they have been having services led by some of the different ministries in church. A lot of services means listening to a lot of long sermons in Spanish - a killer!! But good fun and I enjoy being involved. Tonight is the Youth Group led service so will be more lively. I do love living here!! Tomorrow we have a picnic after church.

So they are the main events of just one week! School plods on as ever. Has it's ups and downs. Actually I've been having some great lessons - teaching about foods etc. Tolearn about drinks, I took in different fruit juices, milk, coke etc, and they had to try them and rate if they liked them etc and then they got to mix and invent different combinations. They have strong stomachs....coke and milk mixed together turned out to be a favourite! Gross. Then on Friday Lorena and I put 1st Grade and Prepa together to learn different meats so we cooked up loads of different meats and we all sat and ate them. My kind of lessons!!! Kids have had great fun. I will put some links to the photos up next time - my super slow internet takes forever to upload photos. The cable company don't have an internet signal to my house (it reaches all my neighbours, just not my house!!) and so I use a USB modem from one of the Mobile/cel phone companies. I can't afford the fast one so have the sloooow connection instead!!
That's about it!
Oh...to put your minds at rest, I am not worried about me being Kidnapped!! I only hang out with Hondurans, live by myself. If they take me who are they going to call for the money??? No-one!! I've been here long enough that everyone in town recognises and knows me, they know that I'm not worth taking! Also - kidnapping a white person = international involvement. Not likely. Worry ye not. Being mugged? Quite likely - but tis the same anywhere in the world!

I truly love living here (most of the time!). I have some great friends, am really involved in my church and community - and it's home. In a few weeks I go home to England to be with the family for 2 weeks for my brothers wedding. This visit is going to be more about family time than racing around the country catching up with everyone. So, if I don't get to see you please don't take it personally - I just don't have much time!!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Your dogs are soo cute, Tshabala looks adorable - i have a soft toy that looks exactly like her!
take care. xx