Tuesday 17 August 2010

The End.

Well, at 2,30am Lorena and I went to sleep in my car!! All the corners of the church were filled with others sleeping! I was in favour of going home to sleep in my bed, but it apparently was not an option! So whilst Lorena lay and snored I lay awake! At 5.30am everyone seemed to be waking up and so I managed to convince Lorena this was a good time to go home and shower and change. I also sneaked in a quick hours sleep in bed. Then it was time for me to do a couple of church runs in my car to get people to the next service. This time it was the official funeral service. As I entered, Delmy's usually very shy older brother, gave me a huge hug and thanked me for being there to support the family, he was so sincere. I truly am a part of the community here. Thankfully the song were slightly more of a celebrationary fashion. Her sister got up to speak and left the entire congregation in tears. Delmy has many many brother and sisters, all of whom are Christian and it was only in April that Delmy herself accepted Christ. Thankfully! Blanca spoke from the heart about her sister. Then 20 cars and the church bus made it's very slow procession up to San Isidro - the MOST beautiful mountain village where all my friends grew up.

The strangest thing about the night was seeing Delmy's identical twin sister - I had to do a double take each time I saw her. When we got to the cemetary, we parked the cars in the road and walked up the long path to the cemetary her twin could not go near the actualy grave or the coffin. Heartbreaking. I couldn't look at the coffin today, knowing what she looked like as they lowered her into the ground was too much for me. Especially without sleep. So I stood and comforted my friend Patty as her husband lowered his cousin into the ground. Yet again I watched as the very same friends carried the coffin...the same friends who carried Don Tony back in November. That was what nearly broke my heart. The burial takes a while here, because you have to take your own cement and once the coffin is lowered in, everyone stands and watches as cement is poured into the hole and it is all bricked up and secured. So Marlon was there again mixing concrete. It was so hard.
So that is it. Delmy is now buried. I don't think I will forget her 2 young sons crying and hugging her coffin as they looked at her for the final time.

I found out today that Delmy had wanted to come home yesterday. I had always offered the family that I would do anything to help. Apparently they had called at 6am to ask if I would go to San Pedro to collect Delmy and her mum and sister to bring her home. I would have done con gusto. Ten minutes later she called to say she'd died. Incredible. Her death was more to do with a respiritary problem than the leaukemia. I think her organs had just had enough!

I got home at lunch time, changed and had to go out to give my English class to a little boy I tutor. I'm' not convinced it was my best class ever, but his mum knew where I had been and so made me some enchiladas and a drink!! Bless her. David has an exam tomorrow and so I couldn't cancel the class. It's now nearly 6pm, I am so desperate to sleep, but I am going to wait til bedtime now! If I can.

Lorena is going to find it so hard that Delmy has gone. It was her best friend. This could be a tough few weeks ahead.

Back to work tomorrow

No comments: