Sunday 29 August 2010

Plodding on

Things have just been plodding on here really. The rains are phenominal as ever - the road by my house flooded so badly smaller cars couldn't pass. I drove down it and as I did a small 'normal' car virtually floated past me as the water was over the level of his tyres! He made it though. Friends of mine get 'streams' of water flowing through their houses as everything is on a hill. My laundry room/store room continues to flood, I now have mushrooms growing on the floor and opening my back door is nearly impossible as the wood has swollen so much. Every Honduran is confused as noone has seen it like this in Siguatepeque - especially not before November - the heavy rain season!! My landlord is sending someone to fix my roof this week so hopefully I won't be sweeping water out every time it rains!!

I have finally found an Internet provider that can install broadband into my house. They were meant to come on Friday, but because of the rain...never made it. I am hoping they will come tomorrow so I will be able to Skype again etc.

Friday night I got a phone call to go and visit a friend in hospital. So Lorena, Jaime and I got in my car and went over to the hospital. Libi lives in Santa Barbara and is a very close friend of Fredi and Belquis. Her family were in a car crash just over a year ago and her husband and son were killled and she was left seriously ill - and has had to wear/use a collostomy bag. She was finally in hospital to have her intestines 'fixed' so she wouldn't need the bags anymore. I'm not sure why Fredi called us really, she was still in the operating theatre and they had been waiting for 4 hours and I think were just bored and wanted company!! So we sat and chatted in the hospital until we knew it had been successful and she was in intensive care - then went home. Slightly random, but I'm glad she is doing well. She is such a sweet girl.

Yesterday I was meant to go with the Youth Group up to 2 communities in the mountains to build desks for some schools and some cabin type/shelter things for the schools. I decided that as much as it would have been fun, I needed a quieter day at home. So, I pottered around here in the morning and then in the afternoon Lorena and I took little Benjamin into town and pottered around getting things done there. In the evening I got bored so went to her house, only her mum was there and so chatted to her. She has the craziest, old fashioned ideas, but was good fun and nice to relax and laugh.

Today - I've done absolutely nothing! I may live to regret it, but for now it's been v pleasant!

No comments: