Wednesday 8 August 2007

Back in Siguatepeque!

No more language school! Hurray! I was mean to be with a host family in Copan, spending time with them when I wasn't in school - so I could practice my Spanish. However, they put me in a hotel instead of a family. Sadly, this wasn't as grand as it sounds - it was a courtyard with rooms around the edge!! I was then supposed to go through a gate into the owner's family quarters. But they were never around, gave me my meals to eat on my own etc. So it was incredibly lonely and horrible and I still had noone to talk to in Spanish!
Well, I had spoken to Sue my cousin about it all and on Monday night she rang to say I should go home to Sigua! There is a Candian team here up at the Scipture Union camp and they were running a holiday club at my school with kids I am going to be teaching and so that would be far more beneficial for me to be at! I heartily agreed! We both also agreed it's pointless doing a language school when I'm not settled and so I am going to go back and do it again when I am more settled in to living in Honduras!! I caught the 5.15 am bus back here - not that I was desperate to leave or anything! The awful bit was that I had a Tuk-Tuk (3 wheeled taxi) collecting me at 4.50am from the hotel to take me to the bus station. I went to meet it with all my stuff but the big gates were locked and I couldn't get out! So I went t see if any of the family were up and the gates leading to their quarters were locked too so I was rattling the gates and shouting very loudly to wake the man up! THen had to explain in Spanish that I wanted to go home and he needed to unlock the gates to let me out!! It worked though.

I am SO pleased to be home. Today I went around nurseries with Sue and then did some gardening with her. The plants and flowers are stunning here. Sue and Ken adn their family are having their house built. They should move in by the end of the month and there is always lots to do there! They have included a guest room which Sue says is going to be my room for when I want to stay in their house with them!! Hurray again!

Standards of living in Sigua are quite high - more so than in other towns. You can buy most things in some of the shops. I have found a good shop that sells plastic boxes which I will need for my classroom! Now, in Chesswood I had my African Land Snails - I hope they're doing alright still, someone let me know! - but here everyone as turtles as pets! They are tiny and very tough! Put up with anything. Sue has suggested I get some for my class - so I probably will!

I'll start putting photos on here soon, but i haven't taken many yet. I am losing weight quickly now I'm here - Hurray yet again!! In fact none of my trousers fit me, but belts are good!

Not much else to say really. I"m just really pleased not to be in Copan anymore!!!

Will write again soon. Please leave comments and email me!!

4 comments:

Victoria said...

Hi Katharine, staying up late as we fly back home tomorrow - had a wonderful time, will send u link to photos when we get them uploaded, anyway thought whilst I had internet tonight I'd see how u were getting on... glad you arrived safely even with adventures and that you are having a good time with your extended family, no idea about the snails - will let you know :) anyway off for my last gambling spree - so far in 3 weeks I'm down 2 dollars (about one pound) big gambler me hahaha! take care Vx

Anonymous said...

Hi Katharine
Great to read a more cheerful post - glad you escaped from the language school situation!
Tom and Rob returned safely from Kenya - Tom had over 500 photos for us to enjoy......including several strange lumps in the bush that he was sure were cheetahs or lions...They really enjoyed working with the children in the school and we can't wait to find out how you get on in your new school.
Liz,Tom and Eddie

Anonymous said...

Hellooooooooooo sound like you are having an interesting time;-) give yourself time and you'll settle Im sure. Will write more soon. Kids are doing my nut...Michaels just made the boys swords!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and R is attached to me like a bloomin limpet! But heh...Keep up the diet

Beth x

jean said...

Hi Katharine,
sounds like you have made the great escape. glad you are happier now. you cousin sounds like a wonderful caring person, look forward to seeing some pics soon. take care and don't los too much weight too quickly !!
love jean