Friday 18 July 2008

Planes, Wheelchairs, Cars and Hovercrafts

I am back in England and as I sit and write this I am sat on the Isle of Wight car ferry – which means I have 40 mins to write this (will put it onto internet tonight at Beth’s house!) A view of the I.O.W. from the ferry.

I have lots to write so will start from the beginning. On Monday I left Honduras – after a morning of cleaning the house for Kike, who will be staying there whilst I am away. AND paying a deposit on a new house I have rented for when I get back!!! Hurray I found one – was traumatic deciding if it was the right one, but I think it is!

Jen Hess gave me, Dave and Esther a lift to San Pedro and as we all had night flights we spent the afternoon relaxing in her house. Now at the airport I had my boot on – which proved to be a huge blessing! I was at the airport feeling exhausted after a busy day, dehydrated from lack of water, with a head ache and my foot was hurting. As I stood in the queue I suddenly thought I was going to pass out so sat down quickly....now I must have gone v pale because the man behind me said that I should have a wheelchair and with my boot I should not be queuing up. He rushed to the front desk on my behalf, but there was no one around who could push a chair. He came back saying they were going to sort something. 5 mins later he rushed up again saying they had forgotten me. At this point I was so tired I burst into tears. Now I am yet to work out why I cry in airports, I guess it must be the stress of not actually knowing where I am going or if I have to collect my luggage etc. Who knows?! Anyway, Esther came over and I was taken to the front of the queue. They said there were no upgrades but they would give me a seat with leg room. I wandered off to my gate - for some unknown reason still crying – it was very amusing as I just couldn’t stop!!! Poor old Esther having to stand with me looking like a lemon!! (Me not Esther!)

Anyway, on TACA there was 1 person in business class and so I asked if I could move up there for more leg room. They said no and so as I was feeling stubborn I put both my feet into the isle to stretch them out! Whereupon the air hostess rushed up to me and said I must move to business class at once as I couldn’t block the isle!! Who was I to argue eh?!
At JFK airport in New York I was met by a wheelchair and wheeled through the airport. I highly recommend it – you don’t queue for anything, they wheel you straight through customs and to the front of any queue there may be – everyone is super nice to you. It was such a sight. Anyway, I collected my bag and the porter said he couldn’t take me any further as he was only to work in the TACA terminal. Well...I was not about to be left stranded in the middle of the night, with a boot on my foot and a big suitcase. So eventually the manager gave him permission to take me to the BA terminal – on the air train...like I’d ever have found that on my own!?! He took me straight to the BA desk – where I changed to a BA wheelchair....so funny!!! I got taken straight through check in, through customs, security etc and taken to the gate – not one queue I tell you!!! At the gate I had a 3 hour boring wait ahead of me. The shops weren’t open and I didn’t have any dollars anyway as someone stole them from the house the week before leaving!

Another lady turned up in a wheel chair along with her husband. Turns out she was from Guatemala and so I had a long chat with her – in Spanish. She was just so lovely. We were taken onto the plane first, which was a pretty empty flight. I was sat in a seat with loads of leg room, but the air hostess insisted I move behind and have a row to myself so I could lift the arm rests up and lie down and sleep for the journey. I agreed happily! The man who’s seat I was in turned up and the hostess - or is it flight attendant now? – managed to convince him that my old seat was much nicer and how lucky he was to have been moved!
After a long boring flight, that I slept most of the way through, I got off the plane – to my awaiting wheelchair!! A young Muslim girl was pushing me and my Spanish speaking friend was in her chair and off we went. I was the only one in our little party who could speak Spanish and at the Customs desk I was delegated to be the translator!!!! Sooooooooooo funny. Me?? Translator?! Anyway, surprisingly enough I managed it and we all got through.
John met me at the airport and didn’t recognise me. He wasn’t standing at the barrier itself and so couldn’t see me in my chair – could just here me shouting and see a Muslim girl waving at him!! I got wheeled straight to the car!! I have wheelchairs booked for my flight home too – my boot is too big to carry so have to wear it!! Shame!

After a night at John’s house – where I was frozen and had to have a blanket on my bed - I made my way to the IOW and caught a hovercraft over here to the Isle of Wight to see Dad.
This is the hovercraft (for those that have never seen one!)

Yesterday was my birthday, I slept for a lot of it, then went to a Roman Villa for lunch. How educated of me to go look at historical ruins and archaeology on my birthday??!!!
So much for the English summer – it’s FREEZING. Where is the sun? I am sooo cold here! My biggest problem right now is working out which side of the road to drive on. Now considering I have only driven a year in Honduras – on the other side of the road and the car – I didn’t think it would be this difficult to get back to driving here. But it is!! I am just sooo confused! Roundabouts throw me completely. I just hope I get dad’s car back safely!! I can’t promise! I am still really jet lagged and can’t wait to get back to a normal sleep pattern. Another observation...washing powder here really smells..my clothes stink, frsh thuogh I guess!!
My ferry is now not moving anywhere, but has stopped in the middle, whilst we wait for a war ship - HMS something or other - to pass. An impressive ship.

Am off to Worthing now to meet friends. The ferry is coming into the harbour so have to go....

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mind my car!!!
Love
Dad

jean said...

mind everyone elses too!! love Jean.