Friday 26 December 2008

Christmas Week 2008.....

Friday

Amanda left for Canada on 19th December. The same day as our Christmas Concert at school. The concert went...well lets just say it went! I had some of the food the Grade 6's were serving...this proved to be a mistake...I ended up with horrendous food poisoning!! Friday and Saturday I was so so ill it was awful!



Monday

Monday morning at 6am I went camping with my friends from Youth Group. We just went for the night as an end of year trip together. We went to the beach (yes the Caribbean!). We all piled into the back of a Camion - cattle truck to you and me!! 15 of us in the back, our bags and a guitar! Legs were just piled everywhere on top of each other. It was a 5 hour trip but an excellent way to really get to know each other. We went to a beautiful place by the beach with a river and private beach access. We swam in the sea, had a bonfire on the beach at night, fireworks etc. Was just so much fun. I felt I got to know people better those 2 days than I have the whole year. The whole time was just relaxed...for example we got there with the food and realised we'd forgotten to bring anything to actually cook with! So I was sent to someone's house to ask if we could borrow a pan as they said we'd more likely get it as I'm white - my friends hid round the corner telling me what to say! Very amusing! The next morning we had no breakfast as we had cornflakes but no bowls or spoons and the milk had gone off!! It was all just exactly what I needed - fun, relaxing time with friends. Then 5 hour trip back, stopping to buy coconuts by the side of the road for a drink (the coconut milk!)



I haven't really done it justice describing it like this!!

Here is a link to my photos....
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=194662&l=12a1c&id=876635272

Wednesday - Christmas Eve
Christmas Eve is when Christmas is celebrated in Honduras. I had arranged to go to Lorena's house for Christmas Eve dinner and to see in Christmas with her family. During the day I had a phonecall from my friend Karina who invited me to join her family too - it was Fredi and his wife who were inviting me as it was at their house. I pointed out I was going to Lorenas but that I would come on to her house afterwards!
We had our Christmas Concert in the evening which I really enjoyed. I'm thankful that my flute duet went well with no disasters!! Then, having greeted and kissed the entire church I went back to Lorena's. By this time it was about 9pm and I was starving! However - her brothers (my friends) never showed up!!! One went into town and the others to different friends houses. Seems Christmas isn't such a big thing here! So...I looked at Lorena and we both went to Fredi's! Calling Karina to tell her to save us some food! We got there about 10pm and had dinner. The entire family was there - and Lorena's brother!! It was nice to be with such a big family. The kids all played in the street (dirt road!) with fireworks. At midnight they turned on the radio (similar to New Year in UK) and counted down to Christmas Day. Then lots more hugging and excitement!
I then found out about another tradition my friends have and that is that every year at 1am the guys all go and play volleyball til 5am at the church! I had nothing else to do so went and watched them play volleyball. 7 guys playing and then 2 of my friends turned up to watch and so I randomly stayed up. At 4am Adony, Catalina and I went into the road and set off my fireworks - something to do. He put one under the electricit cables so we'd get more sparks!! Oh my! Was all pretty safe though, throwing fire crackers everywhere! It's great - there is an entire market set up for fireworks here - where you can buy anything and everything!! And I do! It's only here for December - there are only 3 cities in the country where it is legal to buy fireworks and I'm grateful here is one of them. Tomorrow I am off to buy enough for the year! My guess is they'll last for 2 weeks!! Anyway, after the fireworks we went back for more Volley! Was just such fun watching and messing around, one guy had a guitar and serenaded me with his bad singing - never met him before, was hilarious!!! I left at 5am as they were threatening to come to my house for breakfast and I had to be at Sue's house by 9am for Christmas with her. I had to try and get at least 3 hours sleep! The others all went off to find food til 6am - nothing really closes for Christmas! The atmosphere for the entire night was amazing, just a party, excited atmosphere, with everyone out and about.

Thursday - Christmas Day
After my 3 hours sleep I was somewhat tired but managed to get through the day! The day was a stark contrast to Christmas Eve. Jorge had also been invited by Ken as his mum doesn't celebrate Christmas. So we went up together and got there for present opening time with the kids. Was like being back home, Sue had cooked a full English style Christmas Dinner! Was great. In the afternoon/evening they had invited all their Honduran friends round for drinks and so yet another party!
Photos....
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=195644&l=6ac9d&id=876635272

Friday - Boxing day
Have slept and chilled out in the house by myself! Has been lovely calling all the family and getting to finally speak to them all. My landlady sent me over some Tomales (traditional Christmas food) and home cooked sweet bread - very sweet!

It has been go go go here. Apart from yesterday I spent the week speaking Spanish, which has been great for me! It's been a great time to get to know my friends better and hang out with people I don't normally. We'll see what next week brings!!

Sorry this is so long and boring but I think we're up to date...if you want more details email me!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Belated Happy Christmas, Katharine! I feel exhausted just reading about what you've been up to!! The photos are good and give a sense of the fun you've had. Mind you, there is no way I could have spent 5 hrs in the back of a lorry; it was bad enough today coming back from Neal & Lucia's - took over 4 hours to do just 140 miles, and most of that was motorway or dual carriage way! I think everyone was going to Lakeside or Bluewater for the sales! Take care, love Barbara x